These very high performance metal core PCBs except for LEDs, also have footprints for external power MOSFET and NTC temperature sensor on single board, and they are compatible with LD-B4(HV) driver. MOSFET on such MCPCB has best possible thermal contact with flashlight body, so it can dissipate a lot of power without overheating, which is very important when driving modern low Vf LEDs like Luxeon V, SST-40, Nichia 219C, CREE XP-G3, XP-L2,XHP-35,HXP-50.2,XHP-70.2…
mosX PCBs are made from aluminum with chemically grown aluminum oxide ceramic (alumina) as insulation layer, which is excellent thermal conductor compared to even best classical MCPCB insulation layers (epoxy+ ceramic powder).
Advantages over copper DTP are:
- electrically insulated – it’s possible to use LEDs with electrically non-insulated thermal pad,like OSRAM Oslon (IR,white), while maintaining DTP – like performance
- very flat surface – this is important for very small LED packages
- lower mass – may be beneficial in headlamps
- higher temperature insulator resistance – because there are no laminated epoxy based layers, ceramic insulator cannot be damaged due to excessive heat
Note 1: Due to very high thermal conductivity on whole board area, soldering wires is more challenging; one simple solution is to preheat PCB with hot air or with soldering iron (by holding iron tip on + or – pad) and then solder wires. During soldering, PCB must be thermally insulated(piece of thick paper is good enough) from any thermally conductive objects.
Note 2: White dot marks close to LED footprint represent LED cathode!
Note 3: MOSLED boards can be also used as normal MCPCBs without MOSFET, in that case MOSFET footprint should be shorted with metal/0 Ohm jumper.
- 3535 XP footprint (XP-E2,XHP-35…)
- compatible with LD-B4(HV) driver
- Aluminum oxide ceramic insulation layer – extremely low thermal resistance
- Aluminum core – 3.3 times lighter compared to copper PCBs (1.25grams)
- Power MOSFET footprint, 0402 NTC sensor fooprint on board (1-wire NTC connection support)
- 70um copper traces
- Gold plated contacts
- Milled edge – flat bottom side
- Diameter: 20.0±0.15mm
- Thickness: 1.5mm