mosX PCBs are made from aluminum with chemically grown aluminum oxide ceramic (alumina) as insulation layer, which is excellent thermal conductor compared to even best classical MCPCB insulation layers (epoxy+ ceramic powder).
Advantages over copper DTP are:
- electrically insulated – it’s possible to use LEDs with electrically non-insulated thermal pad,like OSRAM Oslon (IR,white), while maintaining DTP – like performance
- very flat surface – this is important for very small LED packages
- lower mass – may be beneficial in headlamps
- higher temperature insulator resistance – because there are no laminated epoxy based layers, ceramic insulator cannot be damaged due to excessive heat
Note 1: Due to very high thermal conductivity on whole board area, soldering wires is more challenging; one simple solution is to preheat PCB with hot air or with soldering iron (by holding iron tip on + or – pad) and then solder wires. During soldering, PCB must be thermally insulated(piece of thick paper is good enough) from any thermally conductive objects.
Note 2: White dot marks close to LED footprint represent LED cathode!
Note 3: This MCPCB is “common anode” type, which makes it suitable for LEDs with common anode (infrared OSLON like SFH 4715AS and LUXEON IR), but LEDs with common cathode (OSLON BLACK FLAT for ex.) can be also used – LED should be soldered in opposite direction, “+” and “-” solder pads are also inverted in that case.
Note 4: MOSLED boards can be also used as normal MCPCBs without MOSFET, in that case MOSFET footprint should be shorted with metal/0 Ohm jumper.
- footprint compatible with OSRAM OSLON BLACK, BLACK FLAT, LUXEON IR
- Aluminum oxide ceramic insulation layer – extremely low thermal resistance
- Aluminum core – 3.3 times lighter compared to copper PCBs (1.25grams)
- 70um copper traces
- Gold plated contacts
- Milled edge – flat bottom side
- Diameter: 20.0±0.15mm
- Thickness: 1.5mm