mosX PCBs are made from aluminum with chemically grown aluminum oxide ceramic (alumina) as insulation layer, which is excellent thermal conductor compared to even best classical MCPCB insulation layers (epoxy+ ceramic powder).
Advantages over copper DTP are:
- electrically insulated – it’s possible to use LEDs with electrically non-insulated thermal pad,like OSRAM Oslon (IR,white), while maintaining DTP – like performance
- very flat surface – this is important for very small LED packages
- lower mass – may be beneficial in headlamps
- higher temperature insulator resistance – because there are no laminated epoxy based layers, ceramic insulator cannot be damaged due to excessive heat
Note 1: Due to very high thermal conductivity on whole board area, soldering wires is more challenging; one simple solution is to preheat PCB with hot air or with soldering iron (by holding iron tip on + or – pad) and then solder wires. During soldering, PCB must be thermally insulated(piece of thick paper is good enough) from any thermally conductive objects.
Note 2: MOSLED boards can be also used as normal MCPCBs without MOSFET, in that case MOSFET footprint should be shorted with metal/0 Ohm jumper.
- footprint compatible with Luxeon Z ES
- Aluminum oxide ceramic insulation layer – extremely low thermal resistance
- Aluminum core – 3.3 times lighter compared to copper PCBs (1.25grams)
- 70um copper traces
- Gold plated contacts
- Milled edge – flat bottom side
- Diameter: 20.0±0.15mm
- Thickness: 1.5mm